Saturday, July 23, 2011

GF Vegan German Chocolate Cake



Babycakes Bakery recipes come through again! Get the books at your local library first to look or try out for free. I did break down and  buy both Babycakes cook books and I am a hard sell!  I am OK with posting the recipes that are on the internet but am unsure if I  can do this legally, if it is in a book....and copyrighted.

I made the German Chocolate cake recipe from Babycakes Covers the Classics Cookbook. Definitely 2 thumbs up just use  3TBSP vanilla (not a third of a cup!) I used 4 TBSP's (I halved the recipe so I really used 2 TBSP) and STILL it tasted too vanilla-y! I also replaced the agave with maple syrup, and I use Ghirardelli cocoa powder. I also use Authentic Foods superfine brown rice flour and sift the flours before using to make a cake!

As I have said before you can make easy layers for a layer cake by scooping cake batter on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and spread flat.(looks like thick pancakes) I made 3 layers but only needed to use 2 of those layers. (the cake is about 6-7 inches in diameter - don't make the layers too large or they will tend to break easier) I also halved the recipe.

I made my own version of Vegan German Chocolate Cake icing/filling from a modified raw food recipe that I had!

German Chocolate Icing/Filling

 1/2 cup soaked dates
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 TBSP coconut oil
2 TBSP maple syrup (or agave)
1/4- 1/2 tsp sea salt

Process til smooth in food processor then pulse in or stir in the following:

1/3 cup  dried coconut flakes
1/3 cup pecans

Add non dairy milk (coconut milk would work well here, but any milk will do) and pulse or stir til reaches icing consistency. Spread on cake. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment